Toss n Tell – March
So bring along you felting gear and put your new found skill into practice after the demo.
Silk Paper with Nancy Ballesteros
Silk paper is an exciting new and unique medium for designing with silk fibres. A shimmering sheet of the silk paper is created by simply laying down unspun fibres and “gluing” them together with various adhesive mediums. Silk paper captures the intense lustre and beauty of silk fibres but it is not considered a true sheet of laid paper. Its surface texture can be manipulated in a variety of ways – scrunching, moulding, stitching etc. By experimenting with the various adhesives mediums you can learn to paint with the silk paper, use it in felting, create unique sculptural pieces or design wearable art.
On the day, you will be shown a variety of samples of different types of Silk paper and discussion on how they were made. We will then break off and create a sample of Silk paper that can be used in your own felting.
We hope you can join Nancy for an exploration into one of our favourite fibres –Silk!
This is a Demo & Do session
- 10gms of Silk Tops (Bombyx or Tussah) – various colours can be fun to play with
- Optional – 10gms of Silk Throwsters Waste
- Optional Empty Spray Bottle – or there will be a few available you can share around
- Old cloth for any spills
- Plus your felting gear & wool
Nancy will supply:
- Starch Medium for making Silk paper for felters
- Grease Proof Paper
- Iron & Ironing board
Demo & Do
- Doors Open & Library Browsing
- Toss n Tell
- Silk Paper with Nancy Ballesteros
- Your turn!