- 30/05/2023 Feltwest Skill Extension Reminder
- 26/05/2023 Feltwest Workshop - Fantasy Fairy Garden Materials List
- 23/05/2023 Feltwest - Needle Felting
- 23/05/2023 Feltwest eNews - Needle Felting
- 22/05/2023 Feltwest eNews - What next?
- 21/05/2023 Feltwest eNews - Survey
- 18/05/2023 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 07/05/2023 Feltwest eNews - Survey
- 03/05/2023 Feltwest - Workshop this Saturday
- 03/05/2023 Feltwest - Slippers Workshop
- 27/04/2023 Feltwest eNews - Grab a cuppa...
- 26/04/2023 Feltwest Discovery Days next Tuesday
- 16/04/2023 Feltwest Workshop Survey
- 13/04/2023 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 05/04/2023 Feltwest eNews - Survey
- 03/04/2023 Feltwest eNews - Survey
- 30/03/2023 Feltwest eNews - Slipper Magic - still time to book
- 30/03/2023 Feltwest Discovery Days
- 28/03/2023 Feltwest Skill Extension Reminder
- 24/03/2023 Feltwest eNews - Materials List Reminder
- 20/03/2023 Feltwest eNews - What next?
- 19/03/2023 Feltwest eNews - Survey
- 17/03/2023 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 06/03/2023 Feltwest Discovery Days - Tomorrow
- 05/03/2023 Feltwest Discovery Days - RSVP
- 03/03/2023 Feltwest eNews - The latest news...
- 27/02/2023 Feltwest - This Saturday
- 21/02/2023 Feltwest - Skill Extension Reminder Ooops
- 17/02/2023 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday Feb 18th
- 15/02/2023 Feltwest - Detritus Wraps
- 10/02/2023 Feltwest eNews - Discovery Days and more
- 10/02/2023 Feltwest Skill Extension Reminder
- 03/02/2023 Feltwest - Tomorrow's Workshop
- 27/01/2023 Feltwest eNews - Welcome to 2023
- 27/01/2023 Feltwest eNews - Materials list reminder
- 23/01/2023 Feltwest - Studio Detritus Wraps
- 16/12/2022 Feltwest eNews - Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays
- 05/12/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 17/11/2022 Feltwest eNews - Christmas Party this Saturday
- 07/11/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey
- 31/10/2022 Feltwest eNews - Delivery day for Markets Tomorrow
- 29/10/2022 Feltwest eNews - Still places for our last workshop of the year
- 28/10/2022 Feltwest Materials List Reminder Coiled Vessels
- 13/10/2022 Feltwest eNews - Mini Exhibition & Workshops Open
- 07/10/2022 Feltwest eNews - Mini Exhibition
- 03/10/2022 Feltwest - Mini Exhibition
- 03/10/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 02/10/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey
- 29/09/2022 Feltwest eNews - Workshops and more
- 24/09/2022 Feltwest eNews - Congratulations!
- 23/09/2022 Feltwest Workshop Reminder
- 19/09/2022 Feltwest Exhibition - Not over yet?
- 18/09/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Beginners
- 15/09/2022 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 15/09/2022 Feltwest eNews - Exhibition Collection Day
- 09/09/2022 Feltwest eNews - Markets 6th Nov
- 09/09/2022 Feltwest Beginners Workshop Reminder
- 07/09/2022 Feltwest eNews - Exhibition Open this Saturday
- 05/09/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 01/09/2022 Feltwest eNews - Exhibition Opening Night
- 31/08/2022 Feltwest - Your images are ready
- 30/08/2022 Feltwest Exhibition Payments
- 25/08/2022 Feltwest Exhibition
- 19/08/2022 Feltwest Exhibition counting down
- 18/08/2022 Feltwest eNews - AGM & workshop Open
- 18/08/2022 Feltwest Invite to Opening Night
- 14/08/2022 Feltwest Exhibition Invites and info
- 12/08/2022 Feltwest eNews - What's new?
- 04/08/2022 Feltwest eNews - Felting day
- 01/08/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 26/07/2022 Feltwest eNews - Prefelts & Batts
- 20/07/2022 Feltwest eNews - AGM & Exhibition
- 14/07/2022 Feltwest eNews - This Saturday Bilby Yarns Blending & Carding
- 07/07/2022 Feltwest Membership - New programs, more workshops a
- 06/07/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey
- 04/07/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey
- 04/07/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 30/06/2022 Feltwest - Membership Expires Today
- 27/06/2022 Feltwest Skill Extension Workshop Reminder
- 26/06/2022 Feltwest eNews - 2 Cancellations
- 24/06/2022 Feltwest Workshop - Reminder & Materials List Exploring Natural Dyes
- 23/06/2022 Feltwest - Memberships expiry in one week
- 19/06/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Beginners
- 16/06/2022 Feltwest eNews - Artist Statements & Bios
- 10/06/2022 Feltwest Beginners Workshop Reminder
- 06/06/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey
- 06/06/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 02/06/2022 Feltwest eNews - Around the corner...
- 27/05/2022 Feltwest - Reminder Materials List
- 20/05/2022 Feltwest eNews - 9 Ways to lay wool
- 20/05/2022 Feltwest eNews - Shoe Lasts are here
- 13/05/2022 Feltwest Skill Extension Workshop Reminder
- 08/05/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Nuno Hat Making
- 02/05/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 29/04/2022 Feltwest eNews - Exhibition, Royal Show & More
- 29/04/2022 Feltwest Materials List Reminder
- 14/04/2022 Feltwest eNews - Easter Break Reading
- 04/04/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 04/04/2022 SubjectFeltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 03/04/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey
- 28/03/2022 Feltwest Skill Extension Workshop Reminder
- 25/03/2022 Feltwest eNews - At Shoe Last!
- 25/03/2022 Feltwest - Materials List Reminder
- 20/03/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Beginners
- 17/03/2022 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 11/03/2022 Feltwest eNews - Coming up...
- 11/03/2022 Feltwest Beginners Workshop Reminder
- 07/03/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Magical Slippers
- 02/03/2022 Feltwest Slippers Workshop Reminder
- 01/03/2022 Feltwest eNews - Slippers- 1 place available!!!!
- 28/02/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 25/02/2022 Feltwest Materials List & Reminder
- 24/02/2022 Feltwest eNews - Bookings Open
- 22/02/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Nuno Garment
- 20/02/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Needle Felting
- 17/02/2022 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 11/02/2022 Feltwest Skill Extension Workshop Reminder
- 08/02/2022 Feltwest eNews - COVID Rules Update
- 04/02/2022 Feltwest eNews - Upcoming Events & Thank You
- 04/02/2022 Feltwest - Kaye's Workshop Tomorrow
- 31/01/2022 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 28/01/2022 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Nuno Garment
- 28/01/2022 Feltwest Materials List Reminder
- 18/01/2022 Feltwest eNews - Happy New Year
- 23/12/2021 Feltwest eNews - Merry Christmas
- 13/12/2021 Feltwest - Perth Makers Market December 19th
- 06/12/2021 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 03/12/2021 Feltwest eNews - Calendar 2022 & Bookings Open
- 18/11/2021 Feltwest eNews - Christmas Party this Saturday
- 12/11/2021 Feltwest eNews - 3 events left for this year
- 04/11/2021 Feltwest eNews - Makers Day this Saturday
- 01/11/2021 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club Tomorrow
- 14/10/2021 Feltwest eNews - October Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 04/10/2021 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club tomorrow
- 29/09/2021 Feltwest eNews - Makers Day this Saturday
- 19/09/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Beginners
- 15/09/2021 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 11/09/2021 Feltwest Beginners Workshop Reminder - September
- 06/09/2021 Feltwest eNews - WIP Club tomorrow
- 06/09/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Kimono Poncho
- 27/08/2021 Feltwest eNews - Exciting Announcements
- 26/08/2021 Feltwest Workshop - Materials List & Reminder
- 18/08/2021 Feltwest eNews - AGM this Saturday
- 11/08/2021 Feltwest eNews - Felted Funky Bags and other News
- 08/08/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Funky Bags
- 30/07/2021 Feltwest eNews - Notification of Annual General Meeting
- 30/07/2021 Feltwest Reminder & Materials List Funky Bags
- 21/07/2021 Feltwest eNews - Uthando Doll Project
- 14/07/2021 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell Uthando Dolls Project
- 07/07/2021 Feltwest - Charity Event Saturday July 17th
- 07/07/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Craters
- 05/07/2021 Feltwest eNews - Special Event & Workshops Open
- 04/07/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Come Full Circle
- 04/07/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Come Full Circle
- 02/07/2021 Feltwest - Come Full Circle
- 01/07/2021 Feltwest eNews - Membership Renewal
- 30/06/2021 Feltwest - COVID & Come Full Circle
- 29/06/2021 Feltwest Skill Extension Workshop Reminder - Craters
- 26/06/2021 Feltwest - Reminder Materials List - Come Full Circle
- 24/06/2021 Feltwest eNews - News & Updates
- 20/06/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Beginners
- 16/06/2021 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 12/06/2021 Feltwest Beginners Workshop Reminder - June
- 06/06/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Seeds & Pods
- 05/06/2021 Feltwest eNews - Heaps of Fab Workshops Open Now
- 29/05/2021 Feltwest Workshop Reminder & Materials List - Seeds & Pods
- 20/05/2021 Feltwest - Markets on Sunday
- 19/05/2021 Feltwest eNews - New workshops open
- 16/05/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - 2 Way Pockets
- 12/05/2021 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 10/05/2021 Feltwest - Perth Makers Market
- 08/05/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Felt & Stitch
- 08/05/2021 Feltwest Skill Extension Workshop Reminder - 2 Way Pockets
- 05/05/2021 Feltwest eNews - What's on?
- 24/04/2021 Feltwest Workshop Reminder & Materials List - Felt n Stitch
- 14/04/2021 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell this Saturday
- 07/04/2021 Feltwest eNews - Workshops Open & Other Fun Stuff
- 07/04/2021 Feltwest Workshop Survey - Nuno Frills
- 30/03/2021 Feltwest Skill Extension Workshop Reminder
- 25/03/2021 Feltwest - Workshops Open
- 17/03/2021 Feltwest eNews Toss n Tell This Saturday
- 11/03/2021 Feltwest - Perth Makers Market Stall
- 16/02/2021 Feltwest eNews - February Toss n Tell
- 10/02/2021 Feltwest eNews - February
- 31/01/2021 Feltwest - Craft Hosue closure
- 20/01/2021 Feltwest eNews - Workshops Open & Other Fun Stuff
- 19/12/2020 Feltwest eNews - Workshops Open
- 16/12/2020 Feltwest eNews - Merry Christmas
- 17/11/2020 FeltWEST eNews - This Saturday Christmas Toss n Tell
- 07/11/2020 FeltWEST eNews - Christmas Toss n Tell Saturday 21st November 2020
- 20/10/2020 Feltwest Christmas Bazaar
- 14/10/2020 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell Saturday 17th
- 02/10/2020 Feltwest Christmas Bazaar
- 22/09/2020 Feltwest eNews - Update
- 15/09/2020 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell Saturday 19th
- 20/08/2020 Feltwest Christmas Bazaar
- 14/08/2020 Feltwest - Still time to book a table
- 07/08/2020 Feltwest eNews - Toss n Tell 15th August
- 25/07/2020 Feltwest eNews - AGM August 15th
- 20/07/2020 Feltwest eNews - Thank you!
- 15/07/2020 Feltwest eNews Toss n Tell July 18th
- 07/07/2020 Feltwest - Workshop Booking Open
- 02/07/2020 Feltwest - Just a quick one - Workshop Booking Open
- 30/06/2020 Feltwest - Open & ready for felting business
- 18/06/2020 Feltwest eNews - Excellent News!
- 11/05/2020 Feltwest eNews - Glimmer of light
- 16/03/2020 Urgent Feltwest News
- 10/03/2020 Feltwest - So sorry!
- 05/03/2020 Feltwest eNews March 2020
- 28/02/2020 Feltwest eNews Tuesday Group
- 12/02/2020 Feltwest eNews February 2020
- 28/01/2020 Welcome to Feltwest 2020
- 11/11/2019 FeltWEST Christmas Party Saturday 16 Nov 2019
Play Explore Learn
Discovery Days are days of informal tuition and activity held on both the first Tuesdays throughout the year. Each session has a tutorial about the skill or technique we are focusing on with all of the appropriate equipment and resources required. The rest of the session would then be about doing – putting those skills and knowledge into practice.
How does it work?
Discovery Days 2023 is like paying for a regular Feltwest workshop but if you miss a session it won’t matter as after each Discovery Day the relevant tutorial will be posted on the Feltwest website in a new online learning section. If you can’t attend any of the Discovery Days that doesn’t matter either! The online tutorials are included in the cost whether you come to Craft House or not.
Access to the online tutorials is not time limited – you will have full access to the course for as long as you are a current financial member. Even if you aren’t a member for a while and rejoin your access will be restored.
During 2023 we will be discovering botanical dyes, botanical printing from Australian Native plants, and Shibori techniques specifically orientated for using on felt. Later in the year we will discover polymer clay techniques to make your own buttons, toggles and beads. All of which can be utilised in, on or upon felt.
The day will comprise of knowledge sharing, technique instruction, and most importantly doing!
Discovery Day will be:
Starting March 2023
Book now and get a jump on things!
Discovery Days 2023$100.00
HANKY PANKY WORKSHOP June 2022
by Fleur Riley
Nancy gave a very interesting talk about how the silk hankies were made and I’m sure the ladies went away with a different point of view about the silk worm.
Many methods were demonstrated by Nancy on how to use this very versatile little piece of silk. They also learned the trick (to stop them sticky to every part of your hand) was to iron them.
Many different variations of scarves and wraps were achieved over the 2 day workshop. Some completely covered their silk with hankies whilst others chose to leave some silk exposed, giving a totally different result.
Hat Workshop with Sue Eslick
by Fleur Riley
The choice for the hats was endless. As you can see by the many different styles of hats made.
Many different variaties were used to get the final look on their hats. Some choose to use silk tops, silk tissue or variegated wool. The look was individual to each person who partipated.
The workshop ran very smoothly and fun was had by all.
All the ladies went home with their hats fully felted and drying of their hat blocks.
Christmas Party 2020
With such a turbulent year it was lovely to see so many of our long term members at the Christmas Party. Wonderful company, delicious food, and amazing felting.
SOFT FIGURE NEEDLE FELTING
Vimol Imsanguan presented a wonderfully busy workshop on her soft figure needle felting techniques.
The day started with learning the basics about needles, wool and essential techniques. A 3D ladybug was created with Vimol demonstrating how to create the main body shape with additional detail of eyes, feelers and legs. Her tips and tricks were were very effective and intriguing.
Moving on to making birds with wings, it wasn’t long before a flock of birds had been created, all as individual as their makers.
Fairies were the theme for the afternoon. With much more complexity with arms, hair, wings and ‘dressing’ the fairy, this was more time consuming. The never-ending details that could be added had participants enthralled at Vimol’s ingenuity.
This was an exciting workshop packed full of ideas that also highlighted the versatility and scope of working with wool fibre. Most participants were new to needle felting, but all went away with an array of creatures and loads of inspiration.
Thank you Vimol.
FELTED BANGLES, RINGS & THINGS
Katrina Virgona is running a felting workshop (FELTED BANGLES, RINGS & THINGS) on Saturday Sept 5th from 10am-1pm at the Mundaring Arts Centre. If doing the workshop, you can also view a range of artworks relating to wool in the SHEEP SHOW exhibition in MAC’s main gallery space. Other workshops are happening in association with the Sheep Show including a yarn spinning workshop run by Anne Williams. The Sheep Show opens July 24th. For more info on the felt workshop, please see: https://mundaringartscentre.myshopify.com/products/felted-bangles-rings-and-things-with-katrina-virgona
November Toss n Tell & Christmas Party
We had a wonderful 2019 FeltWEST wrap up at TNT on
Saturday 16 November with an abundance of beautiful, felty Christmas ornaments
brought in and sold to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis; a delicious shared
lunch and lots of lovely items brought in for Toss N Tell. Thank you very much to Jean for presiding
over the day in Soosie’s absence.
Both Peta Korb and Jean McKenzie were presented with
flowers to thank them for their outstanding contribution to the success of
FeltWEST’s stall at the Royal Show in 2019.
Martien announced the sad passing of Peggy Buckingham,
long-time FeltWEST member and tireless advocate for
the educational aspect of the arts and crafts in Western Australia and nationally.
wishes to all for a very happy Christmas and a great start to the new
year. We look forward to seeing you all
February 2020 Toss n Tell
by Renita Mroz
We kicked of our first TNT of the year with a
wonderful Mini Demonstration from Sue Eslick on Making and Attaching
Tubes. Thank you, Sue, – as
always, you were fabulously instructive and entertaining! The March mini demo, by Soosie Jobson, will
be on Differential Shrinkage Rates.
Soosie announced that the Extension Program
would be back in 2020, run by Sue Eslick and Jean McKenzie. These are three-hour long, samples-based
workshops aimed at learning or honing a particular skill. Six or so of these workshops will be run
during the year, some on Saturdays after TNT, others on regular Tuesday felting
days. The first extension workshop will
look at Three-Dimensional Felt with participants working on
making a small vessel. It will be run on
Saturday 21 March following TNT – bookings are open on the website.
Our first Monthly Workshop for 2020 was
Peta Korb’s Needle Felted Woylie workshop which was booked and very
well received with a whole herd of adorable woylies heading off to new homes at
the end of the day.
Our March offering, Sue Eslick’s Fantasy Hat or
Tea Cosy workshop, is fast approaching.
The workshop is almost fully booked with only two places remaining –
sign-up on the website now for a great weekend and a stylish hat or sensational
Also open for bookings is Anita Larkin’s Design
Ideas for Felt workshop in April.
Martien described Anita as someone to get out of bed for! Coming from a background in sculpture, Anita
is inventive and offers unique techniques to shift, shuffle and shake your
ideas, new perspectives and a wonderful and expansive approach to design. This is a workshop not to be missed!
Soosie sought expressions of interest in a 2020 FeltWEST
Retreat in May/June, the planning for which is underway.
Soosie also encouraged all members to engage with FeltWEST’s
Facebook page. Please like it,
share it, and contribute to it.
Peta spoke about the Toodyay Fibre Festival
on Sunday 7 June. If you would like any
of your felted garments included in the fashion parade, you will need to fill
out an Expression of Interest form on the website. http://www.toodyay.wa.gov.au/Community-Visitors/Events/Upcoming-Events/Toodyay-Fibre-Festival
Martien drew our attention to Felt Matters
magazine, produced in the UK by the International Feltmakers’ Association. This is a wonderfully inspirational magazine
with an international focus. Two
FeltWEST members, Martien van Zuilen and Katrina Virgona, are featured in the
current issue. You’ll find copies of
Felt Matters magazine in the FeltWEST library.
Virginia let us know that FeltWEST member, Marie
Marshal, is down-sizing and has, very generously, donated her felting books and
a beautiful wooden hat block to our library.
She also offered fabric and a gorgeous felted christening gown to anyone
who would love and use them well.
Katrina spoke about the Lust for Lustre
exhibition at Ellenbrook Art Gallery which looks at our fascination with
pearls. Katrina’s work was included in
WOYLIE – 3D NEEDLE FELTING WITH WIRE ARMATURE
On Saturday 1 February, 12 Feltwest members were treated to an excellent one day workshop,
presented by Peta Korb. At the end of the day all participants commented on how much they had
enjoyed the workshop and how well organised it had been. The consensus was that it was a great
start to the 2020 Feltwest year.
Peta explained that the Woylie is a small Australian marsupial, which would serve as a suitable
project for demonstrating the techniques of needle felting onto a wire armature. The intention was
to try to finish the project during the workshop, but sufficient materials and tuition were given to
allow participants to finish their projects at home, if need be.
Peta supplied a kit to each participant, containing all the materials needed for the workshop, which
made it easier and faster to start the workshop. Participants were given a list of a small number of
tools they would need to bring with them to assist in the process.
Peta displayed samples of her work to illustrate the different stages of work involved in needle
felting to an armature. During the workshop, participants learned a range of techniques, including
wrapping, shaping, felting and sculpting wool around a wire armature. They also learned colour
blending with wool, creating a realistic animal pelt in felt finer finishing details.
Thank you Peta for an enjoyable, informative and inspiring workshop!