Toss n Tell – July 18th
18/07/2020 @ 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
We have double demos this month!
Shrinkage Rates Vs Percentages with Soosie Jobson
As felters we all know that felt shrinks as it fulls, but the age old discussion is how to measure that shrinkage. I often hear felters talking about shrinkage in percentage values ie “It shrank by 30%.” but this is an inaccurate and mathematically incorrect way of measuring shrinkage. Soosie will lead you through the process of measuring shrinkage accurately and easily.
Felt Flowers with Sara Quail
Sara will demonstrate how to make a variety of 3D flowers using extra-fine merino wool roving, a simple resist and directional fulling techniques. Numerous basic shapes can be achieved and then manipulated further to change the shape, direction and position of the petals. With only small amounts of wool needed to make these flowers, they can be used as a floral display or for embellishing other projects.
What to bring:
- merino wool roving in a few colours – 19 micron or less. Small amounts, no more than 50gm in total. A good opportunity to use up odds and ends
- small amount of fine decorative fibres for embellishment – viscose roving, silk tops etc
- water sprinkler – ball brause, squirt bottle or whatever you normally use
- soap and container for water/soap solution
- bubble wrap – 1 piece no bigger than 50 x 30cm; or 2 small pieces +/- 30cm square ; or your preferred felting mat
- thin foam resist – cut into circles 12.5cm in diameter. At least one, a couple would be handy.
- scissors – small and sharp, pencil and tweezers if you have them
- sushi mat, small bamboo blind or small piece of drawer liner for fulling
- tea towel / small towel
- teaspoon – (and no, there are not enough at craft house!)
- optional – a decorative twig to attach flowers to; strong neutral thread similar to colour of stick, needle with sharp point and an eye big enough for the thread
Sara will also have a selection of products available for purchase from her online shop for felting supplies – Unicorn Fibres.
Unicorn Fibres shop – There will be a limited range of products for sale on the day – 19 micron merino, coloured blends, wool / viscose, wool / silk and viscose roving. Cash or credit card facilities available. To see the full range of products from Unicorn Fibres or to pre-purchase (recommended!), please visit Unicorn Fibres. Orders placed by midday Friday 17 July using the Local pickup option will be available for collection at Toss ‘n Tell on 18 July.
Toss n Tell Schedule
Please note as a COVID-19 precaution please bring your own cup or mug.
Please do NOT come to Toss n Tell if you feel unwell in any way – please stay home.
- 9:30 Open
Please write your name in the Attendance Book and put $2 into money box towards tea, coffee, milk, biscuits and venue hire and take a raffle ticket, which puts you in the drawer for FeltWEST credit voucher. Don’t forget to sign out when you leave.
- 9:45 Welcome Back
- 10:00 Shrinkage Rates vs Percentages with Soosie Jobson
- 10:30 Felt Flowers with Sara Quail
- 11:30 Library & Bookings open
- 12:00 TnT & Lunch