February Toss n Tell – Popup & Demo
We are very pleased to have Martien van Zuilen bring her pop-up shop to our February Toss n Tell and present a demonstration on how to create Instant Smocking & Sculptural Effects in handmade felt. Following the demo, members are invited to ‘have-a-go’!
Materials to bring for the hands-on felting session on Instant Smocking & Sculptural Effects
- piece of grip-mat – about 1 metre by 50cms
- 30-50 grams of wool
- netting, water container, ball-brauser of similar, and wooden dowel (or similar) – length 50cms
- sharp-pointed scissors
Martien has been a member of FeltWest (on and off) since she moved to Western Australia in 1998. She has operated her artisan dyeing studio Colourant Dyeworks since the early 1990s. Putting quality over quantity, and mostly working to commission and private orders, her hand-dyed fibres and fabrics are sought after by discerning fibre artists worldwide. At the February Toss and Tell, Martien will bring a selection of her wares, including hand-dyed wool nepps, silk laps, novelty fibres and blends, woollen yarns, and of course her variegated fine merino wool tops (17 and 18 micron). She will happily share tips & techniques on their use – including carding for textural effects.
Any queries, please contact Martien:
- Instagram: @martienvanzuilen
- Library Browsing & Popup Shop
- Toss n Tell
- News and events. Bring your latest piece of felt.
- Library Browsing
- Borrow and return your items
- Marks Over Time
- Sessions on our Exhibition
- Show Time
- Demos, activities and all things felting