Beginners Workshop September 18th
Participants will make a sample piece of quality felt.
FeltWEST beginner’s classes aim to teach the basics of the wet felting technique with merino wool, and how these can be adapted to make differing forms. The conclusion of the workshop, the participants will:
- Understand the qualities of ‘good felt’
- Understand the difference between a pre-felt, and fully felted piece
- Understand how and why wool felts, and factors affecting different shrinkage rates
- Understand that wool from different sheep breeds can be felted and will produce felt of differing qualities
- Be able to pull wool and lay out finely and evenly
- Be able to wet felt a sample square using the rolling technique
- Be able to full a felt sample by tossing, scrunching and hand rolling, and options of using different tools such as washing boards.
Classes will be of 3 hours duration with a maximum of 6 students per tutor.
Class are held on either the 3rd Saturday 1pm – 4pm or 1st Tuesday 10am-1pm please check the event details.
Participants are encouraged to come along early to meet FeltWEST members and join in the activities.
- Workshops held at Craft House Alexander Park, Clyde Street, Menora, WA.
- Participants can bring their own wool or purchase a sample pack on the day for a cost of $10, so you just need to bring along a towel and your enthusiasm.
- BYO Lunch