SOLD OUT!!! Studio Detritus: Raising the Surface with Soosie Jobson
Raising the surface of your felt creates texture, depth and interest. Over the years felters have pushed the boundaries of embellishing felt finding new and innovative ways whilst using a range of materials and methods. In this one day workshop we will make samples exploring the many techniques available to us whilst using treasures from our stashes, found items, and/or repurposing those UFOs (UnFinished Objects).
We will explore
- fabric, painting and stitching options used before laying wool
- Inclusions – feltable and non feltable
- Bubbles, frills, folds & ruffles
- Negative resists
- Negative space
- Reverse Nuno
- Differential shrinkage patterns and ghostly affects
- Topping with fibres, yarns, paper and felt
- Adding horns, spikes, handles and loops
- Shibori shaping & stitching at various felting phases for texture, loops, plaits & tails
- Embroidery stitches for height and style
You may choose to focus on one or two techniques or explore them all, making one sample or a plethora of them. As we are working small you could achieve many of these techniques in one day. Your day – your choice. We will also explore various ways of documenting your samples for future reference. As with all Studio Detritus workshops, we challenge you to use only what you have, or can share, or swap.
Studio Detritus is an ongoing series of workshops that focus on using what we have rather than acquiring more, yet getting more in the end. Soosie has been a practicing felt and textile artist for over 30 years and has won awards, prizes, and been featured in many exhibitions and publications around the world.
Experience Level: All welcome.
A materials fee of $0 payable to tutor.
Estimated materials list $20 only if you need to buy “fresh” wool.